Localizing your content in multiple languages integral to your website's success. After adding the second language to your website via Languages App, you'll notice the shortcode at the end of your domain name in the address bar.
For instance, if the default language of your website is English and you decide to go with Spanish, the URL of your website's Spanish version will have a /es (Spain) shortcode. Accordingly, so called sub-directories with a generic top-level domain of your domain will be www.example.com/es.
You can also assign your domain to a language via the Domain App.
Use the Assign Language to Domain functionality to link a specific Domain to a certain language of your website.
You can connect the www.example.com domain name to your site's default language (English),
while the www.example.es will be linked to the Spanish language site.
You can also change the URL Shortcode, which is what you see when switching from one language to another under the same domain extension.
- Each domain can only be assigned to one language.
- If the domain is not assigned to a specific language, it will select a language from the Language Switcher, except for one that has already been assigned.
- Once the 'Domain 2 language' functionality is active, the Default domain star icon disappears. The default domain is then connected to the default language.
- If the domain assigned to the default language is deleted the site visitor will be redirected to a 404 error page.
- If the non-default domain is removed, it's only accessible via the initial Ucraft subdomain.
Public Mode Language Detection
Once you get through the 'assign a Language to a Domain' setup, you might want to enable the Public Mode Language Detection option on the Site Settings App. This will automatically redirect the visitors based on their browser language or on the visitor's IP address. To enable it add the Additional Language Code to the appropriate field when editing or creating a Language.
Continue reading: Region Switcher, to learn more about features available at SpringBuilder.
Need additional help with your domain or anything else at SpringBuilder? We're never more than a click away! Happy internationalization!