Well, you've launched your SpringBuilder website, connected your custom domain and it targets one country or one language. Good job so far! But what if you decide to go international and create a multilingual website? That's where our Languages App comes in handy. Apparently, you should check this article for more insight on how to add new languages to your website.
But that's not what this article is all about :) Let's go any further!
Once you've added multiple languages to your website, localizing you content in multiple languages will be an important part of it. After adding the second language to your website, you will notice the shortcode at the end of your domain name in the address bar.
For instance, if the default language of your website is English and you decide to go with Spanish, the URL of your website's Spanish version will have a /es (Spain) shortcode. Accordingly, so called subdirectories with a generic top-level domain of your domain will be www.example.com/es.
But wait, that's not the end. As SpringBuilder provides the best practice to its technical and non-technical folks, in the Domain App you will find another handy option to assign it to a language.
So this 'Assign Language to Domain' functionality allows to link a specific Domain to a certain language of your website.
In other words, here you can connect www.example.com Domain name to your Default Language (in my case- English) of your site,
while the www.example.es will be linked to the Spanish one.
A few other gotchas @ SpringBuilder to be aware of:
- Each domain can be assigned to only one language.
- If the domain is not assigned to any language, it will load any language set from the Language switcher, except for the one, which has already been assigned. Let's say, we have 3 languages: English (Default), Spanish, Russian, and 2 domains: example.com and example.es (where .com is assigned to English while .es is not assigned to any).If your site visitor change your site language to Russian/Spanish he will be redirected to example.es/ru or example.es/es. And only if he switches the language to English, example.com will be placed.
- Once the 'Domain 2 language' functionality is active, the Default domain star icon disappears. From there on, the default domain is the one, connected to the default language.
- In case, the domain assigned to the default language is deleted, the language will redirect to a 404 error Page.
- In case, domain (not Default) is removed, it is only accessible through the initial BetConstruct subdomain.
Need additional help with your domain or anything else at SpringBuilder?
We're never more than a click away! Contact our Support Team via Live Chat box in the lower right corner and we'll be there to cover all your hows and whys!